Friday, February 02, 2007

A Jerk in the Work

I've hardly made any comment about my work in this blog, either because it isn't worth mentioning or because I'm not so proud of it. I consider myself lucky not having to wake up each morning moaning "Oh gosh, it's another working day, sucks" but is it my dream job or am I satisfied with it? Well, not yet anyway.

As an assistant to Direct Sales Department, I run some of the department's errands and try, at my very best, to increase the product sales over the Internet in Thailand with VERY limited resources, be it human, technological or commercial. And since my department, countlessly rebaptised over and over again, haven't yet got a really firm ground on the definition of its responsibilities and duties, we all must know a lil' bit of this and that until things (when?) get better and more stable.

This morning I got a talking-to for having made some mistakes from my Mexican colleague, who supposedly is my boss but doesn't deserve to be called so. I admittedly accepted the comments because I really did something wrong, but what really got me was the way he talked to me. The tone of voice he used was, from my oriental point of view, strong, intense, coarse and ill-mannered. It was full of the air of superiority and subtle arrogance. It would be a racism to say that he acted so because he was a Mexican; I've known many adorable Mexicans here and they are well-educated with good social manner. I'd say it was due to HIS strong Mexican character, unrefined and poorly-adapted to the social context, and the linguistic difference between Spanish Castellano and Mexican Castellano (especially tone of voice).

After such situation, which I was hardly accustommed to, I reached a point of professional enlightenment (wow!) that I would never want to stuck here forever, under the shadow of such a prick like this guy, and someday I'll move on. Things can change. So don't just keep my hope too high about the permanent or full-time contract that the company has promised me nor think that they will need me as long as I'm here for them. If the project doesn't work, I might get sacked. If I don't reach the expectation of this so-called boss or our sales don't satisfy the president, I might get kicked out. Or one day I might get sick of this improper behaviour and just say Adios.

But in the mean time, I'll try my best to be more patient, solve problems, improve my performance and facilitate the work of the team so that I can proudly wave good-bye when the time comes.

No comments: