Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Do I Look Vulnerable?

One more time, I almost fell victim to professional pickpockets.

It was 2 o'clock in the afternoon when I was enjoying my double-cheese burger at the most peaceful corner of Burger King, Estadio Santiago Bernabeu branch. From plenty of empty tables and seats, I chose to sit at the second table from the innermost corner of the floor.

While I was experiencing the divine taste of oily french fries, three latinos (a girl and two guys) came up the stairs, scanning the area with their inscrutible eyes and impassive expression. I wouldn't have paid any attention had they not come directly to the table behind me, the one at the corner, and sat there.

What really aroused my suspicion was that one of them maintain his position at a table by the stairs, gazing at my direction, watching the couple sitting and doing their business.

There were tons of unoccupied tables but they chose to sit behind me, in the corner which wasn't at all easy to access. I was observing them in the reflection on a plastic panel in front of me. They looked around and then sat down. I instinctively drew to my side the chair on which I had placed my shoulder bag and then stared at the guy by the stairs. Our eyes met. He picked up his mobile and made a call. In the reflection, I saw that the man with the girl answered the phone and suddenly both of them stood up and, passing my table, went straight to that guy before going downstairs. All of this happened within about 10 seconds.

Although relieved, somehow I felt a tiny bit of anger inside me as well. WHY it had to be ME? Because I was alone? Because I seemed like a careless tourist? Just because?

Do I look vulnerable?

Don't answer me, I don't want to know the answer (nor the truth). Thanks for reading.

No comments: