Thursday, August 24, 2006

Chronicles of Mod : Invading London I

From August 9th till 16th, Now and I had a fascinating and exciting trip to London and Edinburgh.

The weather was moderately cool and partly sunny. Thanks to the BBC's weather forecast that helped me in preparing a suitable collection of clothes :)

For someone who has grown up in an urban environment like me, I fell in love immediately with the Metropolitan as we walked through streets from St.Paul to Covent Garden (Whoops, that was quite a long long way!). Trees and flowers were everywhere and this was what we couldn't find in Madrid. At first I couldn't imagine why so many people wanted to live in London, but then and there the same desire and impression were developing inside me.

Too bad, I couldn't see a picture of me living there. Everything looked (and was) expensive, but the quality was equally high as well (At this, I give a standing ovation to the packaged food in supermarkets like Marks & Spencer or cafes like E.A.T. and Vita. I have never found any food so fancifully decorated and packaged like here! Once there, I felt the urge to buy and eat them all. Yummy).

Here are some of the places we visited during our first four days of the trip before heading to Edinburgh, Scotland.



Standing on Millennium Bridge, overlooking Thames and series of bridges along the grand river. Our hostel is only five minutes away from this spot.


St.Paul Cathedral has the second largest dome in the world, after St.Peter in Vatican City. We stayed in a hostel near by, feeling closer to the Celestial Being than ever! Imagine the chimes eminating from the belfry every morning and evening, isn't that cool?!? :)



Westminster Abbey, crowded as always. Impressive in its majestic grandiosity and numerous tombs of the fallen British personages, including Elizabeth I, her sister Mary, Shakespear and Churchill.



Chinatown...I LOVE this place! A Mecca for food lovers (mostly with low budget). We went there almost every day to fill our starving belly with all the fanciful ranges of oriental and international selection. Yummy.

We felt at ease here in London. Being able to witness the multicultural intergrity of the Metropolitan was quite comforting. Racism was notably less practised and observed there. It is something that Madrid is still lack of.


Walking from the Abbey to the Parliament, we stopped for a serie of photos of Big Ben and then continued along the street to the Westminster Bridge which led us to the other side of the bank. From there the view was spectacular. Before riding the Millenium Wheel, I felt obliged to take a typical photo with this beautiful gothic parliament :)

More photos and stories are still coming. So, stay tuned!

No comments: