Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Chronicles of Mod : Invading Edinburgh



I loved Edinburgh! Even more than London, I can say. It was in no way as vibrant as glamourous London but it was so enchanting that I promised myself that someday I would go back. A scottish friend of Now's told us that we were partly right; all the year round Edinburgh was normally covered with sheet of rain, fog, and even snow. We were too lucky to experience sunny Edinburgh amidst the hightlights of "Fringe" Music and Shows Festival, celebrated annually in summer.

Tourists from all over the world gathered there to witness the scottish summer liveliness. Shows, theatres, street cultural presentaions were available all day long. We didn't have a chance to get to see any except those in the streets though.

One thing I liked here was that, according to the laws, nobody was allowed to smoke inside the building, be it pubs or clubs. Well, that might sound a bit pathetic for someone, especially for the spaniards, but I loved that!

I "point-and-shoot" the above scene while strolling along The Royal Mile, the long main street in the Old Town which led from the Castle Hill to the Holyrood Palace down below. Most of the activities were taken place here.



This photo was taken at the new town of Edinburgh. The old one was situated on the hill, from which we could see all the new town and the sea beyond. From here, the new neighbourhood, we wormed our way to a bar&restaurant on the top floor of a building from which we were able to admire the majestic beauty of the Castle bathed in the topaz light of sunset while sipping coffee. :) One of the best moment of the trip.



A view from the terrace where we had coffee with Lucy, Now's friend.



To end the trip, we walked down the Royal Mile to Holyrood Park. Unfortunately, we didn't reach the Holyrood Palace in time, it was closed then when we arrived. We walked up (and around) a giant rock mountain till sunset.



Edinburgh from afar.

Despite all the fuss about security threat in airports, 3-hour delayed flight, hair-raising takeoffs and landings from EasyJet, lost baggage (Now's baggage, with my nutcracker inside), immigration problem (In Barajas, Madrid: The officer told me that I didn't look like the photo in MY passport and didn't want to let me pass, SOB!) and etc., this trip had taken its top position on my list already. One of the most impressive and unforgettable trip ever!

All of this would never have happened without the great travel companion like Now :)

No comments: