Saturday, April 18, 2009

Chronicles of Mod: My Truths about Egypt (4)

4. Most Egyptian men are not my type.

No offense! Egyptian men in general have big bone structure, tanned skin, prominent facial traits and very masculine look. They have literally everthing I could ask for (really!) but, well, I just didn't feel any magnetic pull (except some few muscular teenage dudes, heheh).

5. Egyptian men in dark/black suit are sooo attractive.

Now you know what I am actually into. I dedicate two full points describing Egyptian men! Well, the title is already self-explanatory. This point popped up in my mind when I was people-watching at Midan Tahrir and fell in love so many countless times with well-groomed businessmen passing by.

6. Fashion in Egypt is monotonously sombre.

Egypt is understandably a conservative country in which appropriate attires, in accordance with the religion, are to be expected most of the time. Some tiny slips from traditional fashion style might cause undesirable results (e.g. stares, critical glances from public). So to play it safely, I assume, most people avoid conflicting the mishap on themselves by follow the long practised trend; white, black and grey. There are exception amongst the fashion-conscious new generation though.

This is only my assumption based on what I observed in the city and public transportation. It is possible that there are other plausible reasons for this.

7. If you are lost, try asking those who look as alien as you are for directions.

You will soon find a way to get to your desired destination. Well, tourists roaming the streets of Cairo are supposed to have, at minimum, 50% of their survival instinct active, up and running. That's why you can assume that they, at least, know as much as or, very possibly, more than you do. If they don't, they can still give you some other irrelevant hints and clues (Sorry I don't know where it is BUT don't miss the belly-dancing show at blah blah blah 'cuz I've been there and it was awesome!)

Asking locals sometimes risks getting 1) strange, doubtful stares 2) scared smiles 3) incomprehensible explanation in inglees 4) WRONG direction 5) RIGHT explanation but WRONG direction 5) misleading information by which you will end up in a souvenir shop 6) RIGHT explanation and direction that rarely come with baksheesh (tip) 7) RIGHT everything if you are lucky enough.

8. Flies are all over the place.

There were visually less pestering flies in Egypt than in Thailand but I don't know why they were far more persistent and bothersome. Once these creatures locked you as a target, they will keep haunting you endlessly. They are far from being a tourist nightmare but still truly annoying.

2 comments:

The Light Traveller said...

Am glad you arrived Bangkok alive after all the flies that pestered in Egypt!!

I enjoyed reading your 4-part Egyptian chronicles... Where are the photos? Asian tradition, remember?

Wish I could go to Egypt and feel like a desert princess for once in my life....

Modcito said...

Asian tradition is never forgetten! It just surrendered to the lack of time, heheh. I will post 'em here very soon, I promise!

I'm soooo sure that your turn to go to Egypt will come soon! Till that time comes, keep practising smoking shisha!