Friday, April 13, 2007

New Year Solution

Here comes again the Thai New Year, Songkran Day. This time I welcome the feast with a big change in my life; I quit the job, prompting to leave Spain.

It's time to start anew, but this isn't at all my new year solution. It's pure coincidence.

I was supposed to leave the company on 30th, as stated in the voluntary redundancy letter I handed three days ago. However, the words I had with the company's lawyer the day before yesterday changed all that. She said "Since you're stressed and not very happy with your job, if the company tells you not to come to work tomorrow, do you think that's OK? This way the company is doing you a favor". I was caught off guard. Favor my ass. If I wanted leave at the instance, I wouldn't need that "favor" nor permission from the company, I could do it at that very minute. She then confirmed that it was just one of the measures the board might take. Until she, my boss and the board discussed about the issue, nothing was fixed yet.

The next day I went to the office to settle the wage payment. Most of my colleagues seemed surprised because nobody knew I was leaving. It then dawned to me that the board wanted to kick me out before the 30th to punish me for selfishly leaving the project, but my boss insisted that I stay. Well aware of that fact, I had to choose between continuing till the end of the month as my boss wanted or quitting on that day. Between a bit more extra money and pride, I chose the latter.

And it felt good! I left the office smiling and winning. I didn't need any revenge for what they would want to do with me. It was just to prove that I quit because wanted to, while they still needed me. They could sack as many workers without work contract as they would love to, like they had always done, but not me.

So what I'm going to do from now? More exercise, more swimming, more cooking, more fiestas, more travelling, enjoying the little time I've got a tope before starting a new chapter of my lifetime journey...in Bangkok.

P.S. The most sincere thanks from my heart to those who have always listened to and supported me through this hard time; mom and dad, my brother, Patto, P'Por, Now, Evans, Takeshi, Trixi, Fiat and many more. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, when will you be back in Thailand? actually i plan to go to spain in december, it's such a shame that you're not gonna be there. oh well. i like reading your blogs. anyway, take care and have fun in whatever you choose to do na.

pui (remember me? we worked together for that APEC thing)

i_am_nut said...

Hey, finally i found your blog. just know from fiat that you keep your life journey here. and really it's so good. your writing, your style. have you ever considered being a writer? from me who write for a living, writing can be a pain sometimes coz of all the deadline and the pressure. so keeping a blog, for me, means more writing and i don't want to write anymore when i'm home...well, maybe it's time to take a vaca.

so let's take a looong holiday when you are back here in Bangkok. i'm so glad i'm gonna get one more friend back from abroad. i'm sure you 'll be FINE and doing great wherever you are, so come back soon na.

miss!

nut