Friday, December 01, 2006

Periodontitis : Another Lesson Learned

I'll put this as easy as possible. When you get sick, just go to the hospital. Don't expect the weird symtom to vanish without any proper treatment.

Actually this is what we have all been told since we were kids. However, some of us (such as me) don't give a damn about it. On the contrary, all we (or me, in this case) do is wait, wait and wait until things get worse before going to the doctor (crying, moaning, begging or whatsoever).

When the first sign of Gingivitis appeared, I hardly paid attention to it, hoping that it would miraculously disappear soon. Despite of the constant (but wrong) dental hygiene that I usually did, the gum got redder than ever and bled easily when brushed. The gradual recession began to make a notably fast progress until I couldn't hardly brush my teeth anymore for fear that it might cause more damage to my gum. In a nutshell, it's a Gingivitis-turned-Periodontitis situation.

It took me almost a year to gather my courage to go to the dentist. It's just as well that I didn't wait any longer or I would have lost more gum or, in the worst case, my teeth.

I paid a fortune for the treatment; root scraping and smoothing (technically called Curettage). The treatment, though painless, was a real horror to me since I didn't have a good impression of going to the dentist at all. After a couple of treatment sessions, my gum magically turned to its normal condition. And here I am! Eating apples and nuts again!!! That was worth it. :)

Sometimes you are told and taught but never care to remember. Only being there in a certain situation would you learn to listen and follow. And such was my case.

No comments: